After 20 Years, Ween's Chocolate and Cheese Remains Delightfully Odd

After 20 Years, Ween's Chocolate and Cheese Remains Delightfully Odd


When Ween released their forth studio album Chocolate and Cheese in September 1994, I was six years old. At the time, I was most likely rocking out to Raffi's Greatest Hits or something. Fast forward a decade later, featuring a more mature albeit acne-ridden adolescent, and I'm listening to the weirdest song I've ever heard.


The track is called "Buenos Tardes Amigo," a spanish ballad about revenge, deceit, and poisoned chicken. All I can remember is thinking of one particular sentence to describe what I was hearing: "This is...odd." But I unmistakably loved it. I had just discovered the experimental rock band Ween, and I don't think I was prepared for it.



Ween absolutely ROCKING "Roses are Free" off of Live in Chicago.


None of us are because there isn't a band that's like Ween, and no album shows off the group's distinctive musical tastes quite like Chocolate and Cheese. The entire track list is a genre chameleon transitioning among funk, folk, rock, and of course, spanish ballad. The album doesn't take itself too seriously with titles such as "The HIV Song" and "Don't Shit Wear You Eat," but it can also still hit you where you live with tearjerkers like "Baby Bitch."


It's one of the few albums that exists on this planet that I feel comfortable saying offers a little bit of everything. Even now, listening to Chocolate and Cheese still evokes that same reaction. This album is odd in only the best way possible. [Stereogum/Spotify]






from Gizmodo http://ift.tt/1qLJXPU

via http://ift.tt/1qLJXPU
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment