Try “Travel Caching” to Avoid Checked Bags While Travelling

Try “Travel Caching” to Avoid Checked Bags While Travelling


If you often travel to the same hotel for work, don't carry luggage with you. Keep a trunk or suitcase at your destination instead.


Blogger and entrepreneur Tim Ferriss shares an interesting tip for those that travel to the same place regularly:



I was first introduced to the idea of "urban caching " by my friend Jason DeFillippo .


Remember the first Jason Bourne movie, when various agents are "activated" to kill Jason? One of them lands in Rome, where he accesses a hidden locker that contains everything he needs: a few passports, a gun, ammo, cash in small denominations, etc. That is an example of a single "cache." (Yes, I'm somewhat obsessed with Jason Bourne )


Doomsday preppers (not derogatory) will often have multiple caches at various distances from a "bug out" departure point like a home or office. In the case of disaster — tornado, terrorism, zombies, Sharknado, etc. — they can set off walking empty-handed, if needed, and find everything they need waiting for them. Here's a good intro to this controversial craft.


But how the hell do you apply this to regular travel? Ah, that's where things get fun.


Let's say that you're flying to the same two cities 50-80% of the time, as I do. When I land in New York City, this is what I find already placed in my hotel room:


It is a trunk that contains almost everything I could need for a week. Believe it or not, it was provided and stenciled at no cost by the hotel. All I had to do was ask.



I called a few hotels and found that higher quality hotels will do this even if you aren't a celebrity. Just call ahead and make sure the hotel supports this option. Nobody I talked to said they'd give you the trunk or stencil your name on it. That perk is reserved for the celebrities, but some companies will do it for you with a fee.


How to Never Check Luggage Again | Four Hour Work Week






from Lifehacker http://ift.tt/1tPc5HT

via http://ift.tt/1tPc5HT
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment